My Zimbio

Monday, March 5, 2012

I Know it All

Is that how you feel?  Society tells us that we have to know what we are doing it and why.  Now let me be clear that I'm not all for running around like a chicken with your head cut off, but I do know that no one knows it all.

We think we know what to do, how to do it, when to do it, etc.

I'm partial to the response Solomon had to God.

In 1 Kings 3 God asks Solomon in a dream what he wanted.  See Solomon was young and inexperienced.  He didn't really know the rules of order for how things worked.  We see it in verse 7 when he responds saying I do not know how to go out or come in.  He hasn't the slightest clue of how to rule a kingdom.

I like the fact that Solomon could have asked for more riches, to never be defeated by another ruler, to never fail at being king, and on and on.  You see what I'm getting at?  The answer could have been anything.

I haven't researched it thoroughly enough to give a certain answer, but I believe from what I have read that Solomon was about my age in his mid to late 20's when he came to rule.

The reason I point out his age is for this:  the one thing he asked for from God was for wisdom "an understanding heart to judge Your people that I may discern between good and evil." (verse 9)

Think about that.  He asked for wisdom above all else he could have asked for that night.

Think about yourself now.  What would you ask for if God specifically spoke to you and said what do you want?

Would you ask for the mortgage to be paid in full?  Would you ask for healthy kids?  Would you ask for a great promotion/raise at work?  What would be in your heart?

I'd like to find myself as Solomon asking for something intangible that would help me for life such as wisdom.

How would you answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment