My Zimbio

Monday, February 13, 2012

I Know My Truth

For those of you that are avid movie fans you probably finished the title by asking yourself what movie that phrase may be reminding you of today.  Well, let me end your curiosity.  It is "Couples Retreat" and Vince Vaughan says that he knows his truth in response to getting "bitten" by a shark.

Isn't that what we do though today.  We all "know our truth".  We know the truth of our traditions.  I would agree with you that you know your truth and I hope you would think I know my truth, but that is not really what matters.

Our truth holds nothing unless it is the absolute truth.  The absolute truth doesn't come through a tradition that has been held throughout every generation of your family.  Truth only comes from God's Word.

Now, those of you who know me, know that I am not a condescending person (I used to be, but I changed) and I am not using this blog to bash people.  This is merely a chance for you to see my heart pour out into words and hopefully into someone else's heart.

In John 14:6 we hear this:  "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.'"  Those of you familiar with this passage knows that Jesus is telling the disciples of how He is going to prepare a place for them so that where He is they can be as well.  He is answering Thomas in this verse above.

Justin, what does this have to do with knowing your truth?  Glad you asked, friend.

Jesus said He is the truth. "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."  John 1 tells us this as the book opens.  We know that Jesus is the Son of God and also a part of the Trinity, which is God three in one.

Are you seeing where I'm headed?


Jesus, in turn, is the Word.  Booyah, you're there!  Therefore, the Word is the truth!

We have to know Jesus to know the truth which is in the Word.  Knowing your own personal truth is fine, but is it what the Bible says?  Your truth may be true to you, but is it the absolute truth?

It is hard to accept that your own way is not the way it's supposed to be sometimes.  We must submit ourselves to the truth that God provided in his word.  It's hard, but I've not found a spot yet in the Bible that says it was ever meant to be easy.  Being crucified wasn't, but it doesn't mean it wasn't worth it and I am glad for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment