My Zimbio

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Only Perfect Role Model

Tim Tebow is my sports hero.  I won't lie.  I know this topic has become stale and old, but it's what I've been thinking about this morning.

The reason I think I really enjoy following Tebow is because we are the same age.  I remember when I was a senior in high school.  He had enrolled early and for some reason I had gotten the Knoxville News Sentinel in the spring.  My mom never got the paper and there was the newest of Gators.  His stats were great in the Florida spring game.

For me I could relate because I was going to college on a football scholarship (that is NCAA on xbox 360 scholarship). Really though, I could relate because he was only a couple of months older than me.  I was excited because I would be able to follow his career at Florida and have typically the same types of experiences since we were going through college at the same time.  Well, we experienced most of the same stuff aside from being the greatest football player in history, winning championships, the first sophomore Heisman winner, and more.

Okay, so maybe our experiences were vastly different.

Tim Tebow went on to the Denver Broncos and has been followed by the masses.  If you haven't read stuff about him, you should because it is inspiring.

I kept that paper from his spring game for 6 years.  I found it as Megan and I got ready to move from Kentucky back to Tennessee.

It hit me, especially with all the media coverage, although Tebow is a great example, he is only a human.  Humans aren't perfect.  I hope if you just read that you are nodding your head yes, because chances are pretty high that you're not perfect either.  Lord knows I'm not.

So I tossed the paper in the trash.  Gone forever.  I realized that even though the story is inspiring, something will happen.  I hope it won't, but people aren't perfect and as much coverage as he has received someone will see him in a moment where he just loses his composure.

I have realized that people will fall and fail you.  Yes, it is fantastic to have such an example on a platform that allows him in every house every Sunday, but what about the example that never fails?

Instead of taking up papers and keeping them, we ought to take up the Word and use that example.  It is laid out for us and won't ever fail us.  I mean you.  I mean me.  I'm not perfect and will never claim to be.

Philippians 3:13-14 says it all for me.  "Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Press toward the mark.  Use the unchanging example.

2 comments:

  1. You need a like button for your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, there is a like button up above the post!!! It's a FB like button.

      Delete