My Zimbio

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Learning to Love

Ironic that today love has been on my heart.  I'm not talking about the hearts, candies, flowers, balloons, fancy dinners, dresses, etc.  I'm talking about true love.  Most everyone that has been raised with some sort of religious upbringing knows their mother, aunt, grandmother, sister, cousin, or other relative has some sort of picture or plaque with 1 Corinthians 13 on it.

The thing that I love most about 1 Corinthians, especially the more I hear it and read it is what it says in verses 2 and 3:  (paraphrased)  I can do a million different good things, but if I do them without love I am nothing.  I gain nothing.

Think about that?

We are human.  Our human nature says that we should feel proud of ourselves.  Look at me, I took time out that I could have been watching football to feed the homeless.  Oh look, I gathered food for the pantry.  Ah, I helped that man on the side of the road.  I participated in this charity.

Sometimes we do those things to ease our conscience.  That is not enough.  We have to learn to do these things in love.  It's not enough to do it to remind yourself how good your life really is.  You have to love the people you are serving.  Show them love that was shown for you.  

I can't imagine that Christ was on the cross suffering for you and I and thought, "Look at what I'm doing for you all.  I'm so lucky for what I am doing."  I imagine it to be ugly, awful, and dreadful.  It is the essence of love.  Christ stood in the gap for you and for me.  It wasn't pretty.   He asked God if it were possible that there be another way.  (Matthew 26:39)  Christ did as God willed and was crucified to make a way for you and me.  Everything was sacrificed so that you and I could gain eternal life.  So that you and I could have a way to the Father. 

Unless Christ truly loved us, then the act of the cross would've become irrelevant.  How much more can we show love when we work within our communities?  We have to be mindful that people know when you are genuine.  Christ's love is genuine and is evident because He is alive and well!

I like Kari Jobe's new song that talks about His love.  It says:  What love is this that You gave your whole life for me.  You made a way for me to know You.  And I confess, Your always enough for me.  You are all I need.

I leave you with what I posted on twitter yesterday. It just popped in my mind.  No books. No retweet.  No quote.  If your job requires you to work with a lot of people remember this saying.  If you only work with people on your own volunteer time it is just as important.  

"Trying to make a difference in other people's lives will amount to nothing if HE hasn't made a difference in yours.  Be real, love people."

In love,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment