My Zimbio

Monday, February 27, 2012

It's All About Me

Well, that's what most of us think anyways whether we realize it or not.  We put all the focus on ourselves.

Have you ever noticed how even when we try it becomes about us?  "Good sermon, pastor."  "Great playing, man!"  "You really did a fantastic job with that band."

All these statements have to do with people.  We have to recognize that it's not the people that are the reason that these things went well.  It never has been about us.

In Philippians 2:3 we are told to do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility we are to count others more significant than ourselves.

I admit, I had an extremely hard time with this concept for a long time.  I played in the band and honestly it was about me.  It was about what I did to contribute, to make it sound better, to be seen.

In all reality, I did nothing.  My mindset sucked.  In Luke 14:11 it says that everyone who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

I got humbled the hard way.  It was tough.  I learned the hard way that it was not about me at all.  It is more than me and will always be.

Now I realize that I have to do things not from self ambition or conceit and that whatever I do, I should count the others more significant than ourselves.

Those of you who know me know that I love Tim Tebow.  It's obvious.  I think he is the embodiment of counting others more significant than himself.  He always puts his teammates way above himself.  They make him look good.  They make him look better than he is according to him.

That's the way I want to be.  When I'm a part of something, I want to be able put others above me and give them the credit for their support and efforts rather than doing anything for my own benefit.  I am not a self-promoter and hopefully never will be.  I just hope the people around me see me for what I try to be and that is a man who really tries for the right reasons, not for mere promotion of self, self ambition, or anything other than to live a life or an example.

Try it sometime.  It actually feels better to live humble and without selfish motives.  People might almost like you more!

No comments:

Post a Comment