My Zimbio

Monday, April 23, 2012

Forgotten God

I am reading a book called "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan.  I am only a chapter in to the book.  Essentially, the book examines the "forgotten God" in our lives:  the Holy Spirit.

In my world that seems crazy.  See, I typically attend charismatic, Pentecostal churches.  It's how I was raised.  We believe in the move of the Spirit.  We believe in the fruits of the Spirit.  We believe in baptism in the Spirit.

That is neither here nor there, though.  This is not a theological debate blog.  What I'm getting at is that the book examines what the Holy Spirit is in our lives.  Speaking at the church as a whole, we have forgotten this part of God.  The third part.  The comforter.  The one Jesus sent that was just like Him.

The book really starts to take a look at why we have forgotten this essential piece and why it is essential we stop forgetting!

I say all that to say this:  there is a fantastic statement in just the first chapter.

We as a western society get in the mindset of "me".  When we come to church we want our song played, our church seat/pew spot, the temperature just right, the topic sweet and comforting, and so on.

We have started to make church what we want it.  I don't know about you, but that is just not satisfying to me.  I serve a powerful God that can do ALL things.  I want to know that He is in the midst of what is happening.

The statement that I loved so much is this:  "The church becomes irrelevant when it becomes purely a human creation."

Read that again.

Think about it.  When we stop praying over the music that it be an entrance to the throne room rather than a performance, we become irrelevant.  When we stop preparing and planning for the preaching whether you are praying for the preacher or you are the preacher, we become irrelevant.  When we stop praying for souls and are satisfied with what we have created, we become irrelevant.  When we stop including God, we become irrelevant.

See, I don't want to become the cool church down the street by sacrificing God for talent, performance, and comfort.  I don't want to become irrelevant.

We are not the Lions Club.  We need to stop worrying about creating the perfect environment for worship and worship the Perfect One so that He will manifest His presence and create His perfect environment.

I don't want this to be about me.  I never have.  This is so much bigger than me.  I just want to fulfill the call in my life.  If I have to sacrifice God to fill a church, then I'd rather preach to five people.  As long as I am relevant to the message God gives, I want nothing else.

Think about it.  Have you become irrelevant?  That can change.  Invite God back.  Invite His Spirit back.  Don't become irrelevant.

1 comment: